Shreya, Sirish, Miraj selected

As expected Shreya Dhital and Sirish Gurung qualified to participate in the 13th FINA World Championship which will be held from July 19 to August 14 in Barcelona, Spain. Both Shreya and Sirish were the quickest in the men’s and women’s 100m freestyle respectively in the 18th Open Swimming Championship.

Miraj Prajapati who finished second in the men’s 100m freestyle will also fly to Spain after he was adjudged as the emerging player.

The 18-year-old Shreya had overcome stiff competition from Sophia Shah and bettered her own record in the 100m freestyle to 1.09.82 on Tuesday to get selected.

“I am hopeful I will be able to set a national record in Spain as I was able to do quite well in the first tournament of the season,” Shreya who had represented Nepal in the 2012 London Olympics said.

“I am happy with my performance. I am not fit yet as I had gained weight in the off season and yet I was able to better my record,” added Shreya, who is all set to join Colombia University in August. She finished the competition with two national records and four gold medals to her name.

Likewise, teen sensation Sirish added one more gold medal on Wednesday to take his tally to five gold. The Nepal Police Club’s player completed 100m freestyle in 1 minute 1 second to qualify. Miraj came second with 1.01.82. Despite being selected, Sirish was not happy with his performance. “I was hoping for better timing but I slipped while turning and lost crucial seconds,” the 15-year-old versatile athlete said.

Sirish who had spent the last two months training in Bangalore had grabbed gold in 400m freestyle with the timing of 5.21.97 minutes.



Sirish said that his training did not turn as fruitful as he had expected. “I had concentrated in my SLC exams and spent the winter resting so the two months went mostly in getting fit,” Sirish said.

Likewise, getting qualified came as a surprise for the 17-year-old Miraj as he had spent a month away from the swimming pool nursing his viral fever. “I feel good and hope to get better,” said the 5.9 inches tall who has previously represented Nepal in Dubai and Turkey. Likewise, Sonira Bista grabbed gold in women’s 200 and 50m breaststroke.

Shreya’s younger sibling Aditi Dhital was the quickest in women’s 200m freestyle. Similarly, Tribhuvan Army Club won three gold medals in the final day of the two-day event after Prabesh Adhikari, Gobinda Karki and Jayan Gurung won men’s 100m breaststroke, 50m freestyle and 50m backstroke respectively.

,

0 comments

Write Down Your Responses